Law enforcement Activity
Law enforcement as an independent public activity in accordance with the Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan “On Law enforcement service” № 380-IV as of 6 January 2011 is aimed at crime prevention, investigation and disclosure, legitimacy support, crime fighting and other offenses. 5B030300 “Law enforcement Activity” bachelor programme (4 years) is provided at KAZGUU University from 2004 on the basis of state license from the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan. (valid license № 15004934 (001) (13.03.2015) The mission of the program is to meet the needs of the government in highly qualified specialists in the field of law enforcement ensuring its compliance with international human rights standards. Thereby, the program aims to develop graduates skills in the following professional areas: – Protection of human and civil rights, based on international standards of human rights protection and national legislation, by appropriate reaction to all cases of offenses; – Protection and promotion of business and other activities not contradictory to the legislation aiming to create conditions for development of small and medium businesses, as well as a congenial investment climate; – Prevention of offenses by identification criminogenic and corruption factors and their preventive elimination; – Conduct of law enforcement in terms of identification, suppression and disclosure of offenses based on the principle of legitimacy using modern technologies.
Subject-oriented and extracurricular objectives and skills of qualifications include:
- understanding of the essence of law as a controller of social relations, knowledge of law functions, structure and elements of the legal system. Self-Assessment Report (KAZGUU HSL) BA Law Enforcement Activity 6
- knowledge of the objective laws of origin of the State, forms and methods of implementing the modern state functions, functioning rules of its institutions and agencies.
- knowledge of national and international instruments for human rights protection and promotion.
- knowledge of organization principles and activities of law enforcement bodies and understanding their implications for public safety and order. • knowledge of the types of legal liability, their features, grounds of measures application of state coercion to persons who have committed offenses.
- knowledge of criminal procedures, administrative procedures, civil and disciplinary procedures.
- well-written legal documents, conducting well-qualified oral consultations (in Kazakh and Russian languages).
- the ability to apply the rules of substantive and procedural law to specific cases of life, qualify the facts and circumstances in accordance with the law. • possession of crime detection, suppression, disclosure and investigation skills and other offenses, the ability to identify, give a legal assessment of corrupt actions.
- knowledge of methods of crime prevention, identification and elimination the causes and conditions that contribute to their commitment.
- awareness of the legal, moral, social and economic impacts of its activities and the need to take responsibility for it.
- knowledge of the social and psychological aspects of communication, the establishment of social and professional relationships.
- critical thinking and independent decisions toward practical and legal problems.
- mastery of the effective communication technique, clear and precise communication with others, including those who are not familiar with the law.
- respect for the law and rights, intolerance for corruptive actions.
The program includes the knowledge of general humanities and socio-economic disciplines and special disciplines, implanting the legal culture and creating the technology of the graduates on the basis of practice-oriented approach that involves active mastery of the theoretical and legal knowledge and skills of their practical implementation in the field of professional activity. Categories of graduates’ educational activity include organizational types of activities; laboratory and practical classes; writing and defence of an undergraduate project; analytical tasks; situational workshop.
The programme aims to develop skills in making independent decisions toward certain types of legal practice (investigative, forensic, economic-investigative, operationalinvestigative, operational-economic, operational-forensic, legal and administrative, criminalexecutive, advocatory, judgement based). A distinctive feature of “Law Enforcement Activity” Bachelor programme in Higher School of Law, at the KAZGUU University is a direct focus of the educational process on the needs of the employer; learning methodology providing the development of professional skills in analytical and critical thinking; focus on international standards of law enforcement; the presence of a strong infrastructure resources; anti-corruption education.
The programme complies with qualification requirements for service in law enforcement bodies in accordance with the principles of civil service in the Republic of Kazakhstan and the special principles of law enforcement service (Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan as of January 6, 2011 № 380-IV «On the law enforcement agencies”). Compliance of the programme with specified criteria is approved annually by the Employers Coordinating Council of KAZGUU University for the group of the specialty “Law”, which is composed by representatives of the judiciary, prosecution, enforcement agencies, judicial authorities, economic investigation and anti-corruption service (Details of the Employers Coordinating Council of KAZGUU University for the group of the specialty “Law” see in 3.4.6.) Instruments for measuring the quality of the educational process of the progam (chapter 5) provide constant monitoring of compliance of employers demands and expectations with Self-Assessment Report (KAZGUU HSL) BA Law Enforcement Activity 7 learning outcomes of the programme. In addition, the Higher School of Law is a partner of the General Prosecutor of the Republic of Kazakhstan in the development of industrial qualifications framework of law enforcement authorities staff based on the National Qualifications Framework, approved by the Joint Order of the Minister of Labour and Social Protection of the Republic of Kazakhstan№ 373-ө-mas of September 24, 2012 and the Minister of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan as of September 28, 2012 № 444 (as amended by the joint order№ 665-ө-m of the Minister of Labour and Social Protection of Kazakhstan as of 18.12.2013 and № 6 of the Minister of Education and Science as of10.01.2014).